In this series of interviews I had great pleasure in talking with Dr Chris Knobbe. Dr Knobbe has an impressive biography and is now devoting his time and energy to educating and improving public health, particularly Age-related Macular Degeneration. He runs a not-for-profit organisation called CureAMD. Over the last few years Dr Knobbe has extensively researched the effects of vegetables oils on our health. I am sure all the listeners will learn a lot from this podcast. I highly recommend sharing this with your GP. This is the kind of information we need more widely understood in the community. We have also included a link to Dr Knobbe’s book Ancestral Dietary Strategy to Prevent and Treat Macular Degeneration on our website. I thank Dr Knobbe for taking the time to talk with me.
Dr Knobbe begins with his personal health journey and explains how this led to his
Omega-6 research. He discusses the following:
- What promoted him to learn about nutrition, Western A Price and becoming an advocate of ancestral eating
- The cause of our health crisis and what drives our increasing chronic disease
- How he came to investigate macular degeneration
- Becoming an advocate for preventing macular degeneration
- Starting a non-profit foundation, writing a book and going pubic
- Developing an interest in seed oils since 2016 and going public with the information
- Hi goal is to reach people with a healthy lifesaving disease prevention message
- CureAMD Foundation
Dr Knobbe talks about how we can assess our health and the struggles we face in making changes in our diet. He explains why:
- Fixing the problems after we get them is difficult; prevention is the key
- The 4-key dietary factors driving our health problems and how 600,000 different processed food items are created from these
- We all react differently to the same processed foods
- Genes – load the gun, environment pulls the trigger – 99% of problem is diet
- How long it takes to develop a problem; the time frame for disease to present itself
- Chronic disease in affects 48% of USA population; many with multiple diseases
- Diets of healthy populations around the world
- Western A Price investigating Maori and Pacifika populations and how the modern diet causes their poor health
- Problems with the dietary guidelines
- Conflicts in nutrition research
Dr Knobbe talks about vegetable oils: He explains the history of:
- Vegetable oils
- Heart disease, cancer, type-2 diabetes and obesity
- Processed foods
- How vegetable oils increased in our diet and the association with chronic disease
- Wherever these foods go, leads to health devastation and death
Dr Knobbe delves into Omega-6 and Omega-3 polyunsaturated fats. He talks about the role of these foods for our health and how omega-6 fats are signaling molecules that play a structural role in the body rather than an energy role. Too many omega-6 fatty acids damage our mitochondria, causing energy failure, insulin resistance, ROS and mutations in our DNA leading to cancers, apoptosis and other chronic diseases.
Dr Knobbe talks about:
- The end products of Omega-6
- How inflammatory mediators drive clot formation in heart disease
In this section Dr Knobbe talks about children’s nutrition and how this affects their health through the life-stages including prenatal nutrition.
This is the link to the NZ branch of the Western A Price Foundation we talk about. http://www.wapf-auckland.co.nz
Dr Knobbe shares his final thoughts. He talks about:
- How macular degeneration is driven by processed foods
- NZ statistics
- Where to find him and his work
Dr Chris Knobbe
Chris A. Knobbe, MD, is an ophthalmologist and Associate Clinical Professor Emeritus, formerly of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of Ophthalmology. Dr. Knobbe, a Weston A. Price acolyte since 2013, is known primarily for his hypothesis and research connecting Westernized diets to the potentially blinding eye disease, age-related macular degeneration (AMD), which currently affects 196 million people worldwide. Dr. Knobbe’s research has also become deeply invested in the devastating effects of seed oils (‘vegetable oils’) and their unequaled contributions to Westernized disease, including heart disease, hypertension, stroke, cancers, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, obesity, and other chronic diseases. Dr. Knobbe and colleagues have a published paper regarding his revolutionary hypothesis and supportive research regarding AMD, in the journal Medical Hypotheses. Dr Knobbe is author of the book, Ancestral Dietary Strategy to Prevent and Treat Macular Degeneration, available via online book retailers everywhere. Dr Knobbe is a frequent speaker and lecturer, to both medical and lay audiences all across the U.S. and is now reaching international audiences both online and in conferences. Dr. Knobbe is a physician and ophthalmologist, certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology, since 1997, and has also been appointed as an Honorary Advisory Board Member of the Ocular Wellness & Nutrition Society (OWNS).
Dr. Knobbe is Founder and President of the non-profit organization, Cure AMD Foundation, where he can be reached via the official website, CureAMD.org.